Saeed Abedini Reunites With Children; Wife Files for Separation

Pastor Saeed Abedini returned to Boise, Idaho, and reunited with his two young children. Meanwhile, his wife, Naghmeh, has filed for legal separation.

"Saeed is here in Boise," Naghmeh told KTVB, confirming that Abedini arrived in Boise on a private plane Tuesday afternoon. "He had a great reunion with the kids. We are taking personal time to work on very serious personal issues."

There was a domestic relations case filed Tuesday in court, KTVB reported, concerning Naghmeh Panahi v. Saeed Abedini with Judge Jill Jurries.

According to ABC-affiliate KIVI-TV, Naghmeh denied filing for divorce but would not elaborate on the domestic relations case.

"I love my husband, but as some might understand, there are times when love must stop enabling something that has become a growing cancer," she wrote on Facebook while apologizing for not disclosing the abuse sooner.

The pastor's wife said on Wednesday that he demanded three months ago that she do certain things that she did not detail in order to promote him in the eyes of the public or he would end the marriage.

"I sincerely had hoped that this horrible situation Saeed has had to go through would bring about the spiritual change needed in both of us to bring healing to our marriage," she said. "Tragically, the opposite has occurred."

Idaho Attorney General Dave Leroy suggested that often such cases of separation lead to divorce.

"We have a process in Idaho where instead of being divorced, parties can separate for a period. There can be other collateral issues that are taken up early or late in a domestic relations case but ultimately a domestic relations case between man and wife typically means a divorce," Leroy told KIVI-TV.

The pastor was released earlier in January after being held hostage for three and a half years in an Iranian prison due to his Christian faith.

Naghmeh strongly campaigned for her husband's release throughout that time, though in November temporarily suspended her public advocacy campaign, after revealing that she suffered emotional, psychological, physical and sexual abuse in her marriage.

"It is very serious stuff and I cannot live a lie anymore. So, I have decided to take a break from everything and seek the Lord on how to move forward," Abedini said in an email sent out to some of her supporters at the time.

In December she returned to social media to continue raising awareness for her husband, and in January thanked everyone who helped in the campaign when the pastor was finally freed.

"I wanted to say thank you to all of you for having prayed and have wept with us, have signed petitions and have called your government officials. Thank you for having stood with our family during this difficult journey," she wrote on Facebook last week, expressing her gratitude also to President Barack Obama, the Rev. Franklin Graham, and the many other leaders who stood by her family.

Earlier this week, Pastor Abedini sat down with Greta Van Susteren of Fox News for his first post-release interview, where he opened up about some of the torture he suffered.

"In interrogation, once they beat me very badly," he said, explaining that one beating caused him stomach bleeding.

Abedini said that he also spent days in total prayer to God, sometimes more than 20 hours a day.

"The best thing I could do over there was [pray]," the pastor said.

Copyright © 2018 Persecution Daily